Friday, May 18, 2012

Plantain Chips & Chimichurri Sauce/Dip


Plantain Chips and Chimichurri Sauce Recipe - jarcarfam.blogspot.com
Plantain Chips and Chimichurri Sauce Recipe - jarcarfam.blogspot.com

Plantain Chips and Chimichurri Sauce Recipe - jarcarfam.blogspot.com
These pics were taken from the first time I made this, but I've gotten better at it! :) It's yummy!!

Chimichurri Sauce/Dip
Ingredients:
  • 1 bunch fresh parsley, finely chopped (or use less see below)
  • 1/4 cup cilantro (I usually use more cilantro (1 cup/1 bunch) and less parsley (1/4 cup))
  • 2 bay leaves (I usually don't have this so I omit it)
  • 6 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1  1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika
  • 1 tablespoon fresh oregano leaves, finely chopped (I usually used dried oregano from my spice rack)
  • 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
  • 1  1/2 cups extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Directions:
  1. Place all ingredients in a food processor, pulse/blend until combined. Put the sauce in a container, using as needed. Chimichurri will last for up to 1 month, refrigerated. Great for plantain chips and on beef or chicken! Especially skirt/flank steak!

Plantain Chips
Ingredients:
  • 3 large green plantains (I usually like to make more so I use at least 6 plantains or more)
  • Vegetable oil, for deep-frying
  • Kosher salt, for seasoning
Directions:
  1. With a sharp knife or a butcher knife, take off the peel/outer layer of the plantain and I usually like to slice the plantains in half so that the chips are shorter.
  2. Using a mandoline, or sharp knife, finely slice plantains into thin chips (for fancier presentation slice them lengthwise into ribbons).
  3. In a heavy based pot or wok, heat vegetable oil over medium heat (to 375 degrees F). You can test to see if it's ready by a drop of water or a small piece of plantain.
  4.  Fry the plantains in small batches until crisp and golden, about 5 to 7 minutes. Make sure you don't burn or over cook them. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a plate lined with a paper towel or two. Season with a little kosher salt immediately after each batch. Enjoy!

I want a better mandoline slicer, but right now I just use a cheap slicer I got from Walmart and it works okay. Here is the one we have: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=16565405&findingMethod=rr

No comments:

Post a Comment